Thursday, November 1, 2012

Phillip Phillips New Album Snippets


Phillip Phillips, P2, PP, Phil-Phil, or whatever you like to call the American Idol champion who's hit single "Home" is absolutely destroying the Billboard sales and airplay charts (last I checked he'd sold just over 12 billion copies and was #1 on 19 different radio charts), has now released snippet previews of his upcoming, debut album World From The Side Of The Moon (see above).

Now, snippets can often be liars, so it pays to reserve judgment when giving these tracks a listen. That said, my preliminary take is that there's reason to be very optimistic his debut album will be a damn good one. Yes, it's a bit popped up for commercial appeal, and, sadly, his darker, jazzier, more haunting side seems minimized so as not to scare off the ignoramus masses, but that doesn't mean it's fluff by any stretch. To my completely amateurish (yet brilliant) ear, I'd say it's sound is a combo of Mathews, Matchbox and Mumford in style and feel.

That said, they are only snippets and I could be completely changing my tune about his tunes when the album drops for real on November 19th. My very early faves are Man On The Moon, Where We Came From, Drive Me and Wanted Is Love, but, again, snippets can be misleading so we'll wait for the album to do a full review.

Bottom line: Sounds great so far!

~Kenny Poo

4 comments:

  1. AWESOME REVIEW KENNY I AGREE!! 12 BILLION COPIES HUH LOL ;) GO PP GO!! :) CANT WAIT TO HEAR FULL ALBUM!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment, Sly. Glad you like the review! Looking forward to the album myself. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So so true... snippets can be misleading. BUT I do have to say that listening to them, I picked out my favorites and low and behold, most of them were written by Phillip only. I feel that this album (from the snippets) seems very diverse in sound which I like. Thanks for your input. I can't wait for the full length album!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yo, Yoyo! Thanks for the comment. His album snippets do give the impression it will be somewhat diverse, but not too diverse. You still want continuity of sound, theme and style with some subtle twists to break it up. He seems to have accomplished this. The fact that he used just one producer and banged out the record in 3 weeks was I think a huge benefit to keeping it real.

    ReplyDelete